Registration is OPEN… Get ready for summer!
NEW for 2017!
We hope to host a swim clinic on Friday, June 23rd run by 2008 USA Olympian Scott Spann. Be on the lookout for a Swim Team communication with more details!
The BTC Swim Team provides a competitive swimming experience in a fun and positive social atmosphere. The team serves swimmers of all abilities ranging from beginner to advanced. Although participating on swim team will improve your child’s ability to swim, the BTC swim program is not designed for children who are looking for swimming lessons. The swim team is a competitive team sport focusing on both meet participation and personal performance.
Our team is lead by Head coach Marisa Cardin and Assistant coaches Tom Buzzell and Molly Magnan. Our coaches are committed to providing exceptional instruction while promoting good sportsmanship and self-confidence.
A little more about our coaches:
Marisa Mulligan Cardin has been involved with competitive swimming since early childhood. She was Captain of the St. Michael’s College Women’s Swim Team, earning a 3rd place finish at NEISDA Championships in her senior year. Marisa is currently a teacher at Rice Memorial High School. She has a wealth of experience as a teacher and coach, with swim lessons and as a swim club manager. We are very excited that she is joining our community as our Head Coach!
Below, you will find typical practice group guidelines. During the first week of practice, coaches will evaluate swimmers and recommend the appropriate practice for the optimal swim team experience for your swimmer.
|Group||Typical Age||Swimming Requirements|
|Junior Team||4-8 years||Confident in the water; can swim ½ length of the pool unassisted and has a desire to be on a competitive team|
|Beginners||5-10 years||1 lap of freestyle and 1 lap of backstroke|
|Intermediate||9-13 years||2 laps each of freestyle and backstroke, 1 lap each of breaststroke and butterfly|
|Advanced||11-18 years||2 laps of each stroke|
June 12th -15th 4:00-5:30pm
Pre-Season Practices: These practices are designed to allow swimmers to meet the coaching staff and have the team work together and get to know one another. They also allow the coaches to evaluate swimming strokes (dependent on pool water temperature). Swimmers should come to practice dressed for dryland practice and prepared to swim.
June 19th-August 6th
- Monday – Thursday
- 7:30-9:00 Advanced
- 9:00-10:00am Intermediate
- 9:45-10:30am Beginners
- 10:30-11:00am Junior
- Monday evenings
- 5:00-6:30pm Advanced (new time replaces the former 10:30am option on M/W)
- 9:00-10:00am Advanced
- 10:00-11:30am Entire Competitive Team
Swimmers are required to attend a minimum of 3 meets per season with the recommendation to compete in as many meets as possible including the CVSL League and VSA State meets.
- Tuesday and Thursdays from mid-June until the end of July. Team warm-ups typically begin at 5:00pm. Meets start at 6:00pm and typically run until approximately 8:30pm. In order to get started / finished on time, it is important that swimmers arrive and are ready to swim by the warm-up time.
- CVSL League Meet: Friday, July 28th and Saturday, July 29th
- VSA State Meet: Saturday, August 5th and Sunday, August 6th @ UVAC in White River Junction, VT
Our team runs on parent power!
- The BTC Swim Team Committee is a volunteer board. Please let us know if you are interested in working with us “behind the scenes” of our swim team.
- All families are required to work assignment at meets. It takes over 70 people to run a successful home meet!. Each family will be assigned to jobs at each meet.
- Typical volunteer assignments are: timing, snack bar (home meets only) and/or providing heat winner ribbons.
- If you have experience and would like to volunteer for one of the following assignments, please inform us on your family’s registration form and you may contact us at [email protected]
- Stroke & Turn Official (training is available & we have a high need for officials)
- Runner (run cards from lanes to scoring table)
- Bull Pen (organize swimmers by heat / lane)
- Heat Winner Ribbons( hand out during meet)
- Snack Bar (Team fundraiser at home meets)
- Grill Chef (@ snack bar)
- Team Photographer (dual meets & team events)
- Personal Best Ribbons (during practice times)
- Cap / Goggle Sales (have supplies @ dual meets)
- Stroke & Turn Officials are needed! We are in need of additional stroke & turn officials. Each team is required to have officials on deck for meets. Please consider this volunteer role!
- Competitive swimming experience is not required.
- Training is provided. CVSL holds 1 day clinics in Middlebury and at UVM.
- A reminder to our current summer officials – you must recertify every 2 years.
- Questions about this volunteer role? Please contact us at [email protected] and we’ll get your questions answered.
We look forward to a fun & fast 2016 summer season!
Your BTC Coaches & Swim Team Committee
If you have questions deciding whether or not their children are ready for swim team, we encourage you to discuss your questions and concerns with the coaches. We would be more than happy to help you figure out the right place for your children, be it on the swim team, or in lessons.